Membership Information & Application
Membership Benefits and Information
Who are we?
The National Association of Choirs is an association of amateur choirs run by annually-elected volunteer officers for the benefit of the member choirs.
Choirs are grouped geographically by our Membership Officer.
A member choir is automatically listed, with its contact information, on our website, in the group in which it has been placed.
What do we do?
We advise and encourage our member choirs in all aspects of choral singing. As an umbrella organization we represent our membership nationally, and work to enhance the provision of the teaching of singing in schools, as well as liaising with other national organizations to get the best deals possible for voluntary organizations from the Government of the day.
What do we provide for our members?
The annual membership covers access to all the NAC's services which are constantly developing, but include:
- Annual issue of the NAC Year Book, with details of all our member choirs
- Thrice annually issue of NAC News & Views magazine, 4 copies per choir
- An up to date, fully interactive website, with the facility to show choir events
- Very competitive insurance terms for choirs
- Advice on registering as a Charity
- Advice on registering for Gift Aid tax refunds
- Advice on banking for all member choirs, whether Charities or not.
- Advice on photocopying, PRS, MCPS, Licensing Act 2003
- Access to details about music festivals
- Advice on new music
- Advice on Health & Safety pointers for rehearsals and concerts
- Discounts from some of the main sheet music publishers
- Access via the General Secretary to legal advice
- A group structure which encourages semi-autonomous operation of geographically based groups of choirs. (Around half the association's 26 groups function this way.)
- An annual weekend conference in late March/early April, incorporating our AGM, seminars and workshops, trade stands, and a concert by the local group's choirs, together with opportunities for networking with other member choirs UK-wide.
Full Membership is open to any British Charitable Choir, i.e., any Choir that does not distribute its income to its members - in cash or kind - but uses its funds for the purpose of further promoting its choral activities, essentially the "study and practice of Choral Music, foster public knowledge and appreciation of such music by means of public performance."
This aim is an approved "object" taken from a "Model Rules and Constitution" approved by the "Charity Commission" and is available on application.
Associate Membership is available to individuals, corporations and other entities from anywhere who are interested in promoting the Arts, and particularly Choral Music in the UK.
All members pay an Annual Subscription, which is due on joining, and then Annually on the 1st of January. Current Subscription rates for 2018 are as follows:
Full Members (Choirs):
- Adult Choirs: £53.00
- Youth Choirs: £25.00
- Corporate £53.00
- Individuals: £25.00
Overseas Associate Membership
Membership from overseas is welcomed but subscriptions will be increased to reflect the additional costs of postage etc. Please contact the Membership Officer - Brenda Wilkinson
Brenda Wilkinson, Membership Officer, "Andante", 23 Mendip Close, Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, LE65 1DZ.